Sunday, April 3, 2011

LET'S CUT TO THE CHASE

Kentucky lost. I lost the work pool. There is one more game left in March Madness and no one cares about it anymore.

At least two of these statements are true. 2/3 truth is generally my goal as a sports blogger. I’m sure that my boyfriend and his Journalism degree from the University of Kentucky would agree that 2/3 accuracy is about as much as any of us can hope to achieve in sports reporting.

Speaking of boyfriends, and of sports, I come to the main focus of this week. Yes, my friends, it is time for another edition of “How I Know That My Immersion Into The World Of Sports Is Changing My Life In Small But Measurable Ways Including Phrases I Never Expected To Hear Out Of My Mouth”  with Josie. Tell all your friends.

For the newbies: a brief recap! I, Josie, am a girl, blogging about sports. My boyfriend, Josey, is a boy. We pronounce our names differently. I made a chart:

Josie = Girl = Editor/Writer/Owner/Rule-Maker/Queen of this blog = pronounces her name JOE-SEE = rapper name Jo-C = The C

Josey = Boy = Contributing Writer to this blog (read his piece about the NE coaching staff a few weeks ago!) = currently knows more about sports than me = pronounces his name JOE-ZEE = rapper name Jo-Z = The Z = Probably the most passionate University of Kentucky fan ever

And now, the point of the story has almost arrived. This is a real conversation Josey and I had last night. It started, as all good sports conversations do, with a Snuggie.

JOSIE: (THINKS TO HERSELF: MAYBE A SNUGGIE WOULD BE KIND OF NICE TO HAVE AROUND. HAVE SNUGGIES GONE PAST BEING COOL FOR LONG ENOUGH THAT MAYBE THEY ARE COOL AGAIN? WILL ANYONE KNOW/CARE IF I GET A SNUGGIE? IS THERE A REASON THERE’S SUCH A GREAT DEAL ON THE SNUGGIE/BOOKLIGHT COMBINATION ON MY WOOTDEALS? I THINK I NEED A SECOND OPINION.)

JOSIE: (ON THE PHONE WITH JOSEY) Hey, I was just kind of wondering if you would still associate yourself with me if I had a Snuggie?

JOSEY: (INSERT CARING AND UNDERSTANDING VOICE) Of course! As long as it’s not a Snuggie for Duke, Tennessee, North Carolina, Indiana….

JOSIE: Oh, are you kidding? I would rather drink Gatorade*!!!

Well, that’s all. If it’s not enough to fill your week up, follow me on twitter @JosieBASports. It might be more sports than you can handle, so follow with caution.



*Don’t get the joke? It’s ok. A few months ago I wouldn’t have either. Know that by the year 2000, the University of Florida had received over $61.5 million dollars in royalties from the sale of Gatorade. For more info, you can read this article. I skimmed most of it and skipped the rest.
http://www.research.ufl.edu/explore/v08n1/gatorade.html

3 comments:

  1. i'm just hitting the "like" button.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't mean i'm "just"...i just mean LIKE! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am afraid the Snuggie has not been out of style long enough for it to be cool again. Was it ever cool? Perhaps, but I say wear your robe backwards. If you do succumb to it, it must be a Go Big Red Snuggie. It must.

    ReplyDelete